Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Favourite Cookbook... maybe

So I thought I would start off with talking about my favourite cookbook. Well it is hard for me to have a favourite as I love so many. But I would say this cookbook is one I could not live with out. Betty Crocker's New Cookbook. Mine is the soft cover version and it is slowly falling apart. :( Cause I use it so much. Betty knows so much. If there is something you don't know about cooking Betty will be able to help you out. We make pancakes and waffles from here every Saturday. Pizza dough every Friday. I have tried many of the recipes in the cookbook and have liked them all. You can also check Betty out on the web. bettycrocker.com Here is one of my favourites from her cookbook.

Beef Enchiladas

Prep: 15 min; Cook 20 min; Bake 20 min
Makes 4 servings

1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2cup)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh or 1/2 tsp
dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 whole green chilies, chopped, if desired
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
8 corn tortillas (6 inches in diameter)
Shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped
onions, if desired

1. Heat oven to 350o

2. Cook beef in 10 inch skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Stir in onion, sour cream, 1 cup cheese, the parsley and pepper. Cover and set aside.

3. Heat bell pepper, water, chili powder, oregano, cumin, chilies, garlic and tomato sauce to boiling, stirring occasionally, reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Pour into ungreased pie plate, 9x1 1/4 inches.

4. Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides. Spoon about 1/4 cup beef mixture onto each tortilla; roll tortilla around filling. place in ungreased rectangular baking dish, 11x7x1 1/2 inches. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.

5. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream and  chopped onions.

Cheese Enchiladas: Substitute 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese for the beef. Mix with onion, sour cream, 1 cup cheese, the parsley. salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese on enchiladas before baking.

I have also substituted the beef with ground turkey or chicken. I think even once with ground bison.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool, Deborah! If you could post a picture of the cookbooks, it would be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, sorry, was a bit hasty.... hadn't realized that posted a link to where I could see the cookbook ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! Hey just wondering would you prefer to see the pic of the cookbook right on the page or have a link or both?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd prefer to have both ;o)

    ReplyDelete