Saturday, January 30, 2010

Another Fav Cookbook

You know a cookbook is your fav when the book looks worn, the pages are stained. I have a few of those. The one I want to talk about today is Cooking from Quilt Country. Hearty Recipes from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens. Fabulous cookbook. I love it. I make many things from here. The book is written by Marcia Adams. She had visited the Amish and Mennonite communities and studied there recipes. The Amish and Mennonites are great cooks. They make everything from scratch. Which I do not. I make some things. But not all. Like chicken stock. I often buy that. I know homemade tastes better but I don't always have the time to make it. I definately recommend that you check out this cookbook. You wont be disappointed. Here is a recipe from it.

Chicken Corn Soup

6 tbsp butter, or rendered chicken fat                                              3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup finely chopped onion                                                           3/4 cup half and half
1 cup finely chopped celery                                                              2 tbsp shredded carrot
6 tbsp all-purpose flour                                                                    1 tbsp finely minced fresh parsley
2 cups chicken broth                                                                        1/4 tsp grated nutmeg, rounded
1 1-pound can cream-style corn                                                       1/8 tsp black pepper
11/2 cups very coarsely shredded cooked chicken

In a large saucepan, cook the butter, onion, and celery over medium heat for 3 minutes. stir in the flour, and cook 5 to 6 minutes longer, or until the mixture is golden. Add the broth, and whisk until smooth, raising the heat a bit. Add the remaining ingredients except chicken, and then lower heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Add chicken just before serving- allow soup to stand a few minutes to heat the chicken pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment